Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY LIGHTING {hemp pendant light}

It's finally here...or should I say it's finally finished! My DIY hemp pendant light has found a place to live. For those of you who follow Solo Thais through facebook, you've seen a few pictures of my progress, and although I finished this about a month ago, I got hung-up {no pun intended} on where to hang this. My apartment rental with tin ceilings posed a bit of a problem, but after experimenting with Velcro hooks and wall mounted plant hangers, I decided it would be best to hang it in the only room without tin, the kitchen. Here's how it all came together...


In April I blogged about DIY pendant light ideas and decided to try one out myself. I chose the Hemp Pendant lights seen on Crafty Nest, and inspired by West Elms Woven Abaca lamps. I followed Heika DeHart's step-by-step instructions and the results were amazing! 

What you'll need: Deflate-able ball from Target ($3), two bottles of clear tacky glue (about $3 each), a spool of hemp string (under $5) and a hanging light cord ($15)

After drawing a circle on the bottom of the ball, I began running the string through the glue and wrapping it around the ball in random patterns avoiding the circle {this is for the opening at the bottom}. The glue quickly covered my hands and started to dry, so I dumped the glue into a container and diluted it with water which made it easier to spread over the string. After using the entire spool of string I let it sit for 3 days to allow all of the layers to dry.

When the glue dried completely, it was time to deflate and removed the ball. I filled it back up with air for the next one {or to bring to the beach}.

Because I watered down the glue, some of the glue spread between the string and dried into small, clear flakes which I had to scrape off.

I had some great suggestions by friends as to what type of bulb I should use. Almost everyone suggested an old-style filament bulb, so I compromised and got a clear round one from Home Depot, and as a backup in case this one became too hot, I grabbed some round compact florescents. So far, my clear bulb seems to be doing just fine.


My new kitchen light!!!





 I love what this light has added to our small kitchen, and I like how it compliments my birch tree painting. The shadows on the wall look like tree branches extending from the branches in the painting and the hemp adds a natural and rustic element to the room.

If anyone is going to try this and would like advice, feel free to contact me...or I'd be happy to make one for you {price to be decided}. 

Thanks for following me throughout this process! 




7 comments:

  1. Hello! I was inspired to make one for my kitchen too after seeing how beautifully yours turned out. I especially love the shadows it creates which I realize can only be achieved with a clear bulb. I find a 60w clear bulb too bright - is that the wattage you used? Thanks, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise! Thanks for checking out my blog...I'm excited to hear that people are trying out this project! I did use a 60 watt clear bulb, but it worked well in my dark kitchen. Maybe try switching to a 40 watt and see what that does. Let me know how it goes:)
    ~Solana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great, thank you for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is completely unrelated, but where did you get that bar table/stools in the photos? i've been looking for a similar dining set for a few weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the table at Ikea and the bar stools online at Wayfair.com
      Here is a link to the table...
      http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90087541/

      But I can't seem to find the exact link for the stools. We purchased them in a light oak and they matched the table perfectly.
      Hope this helps:)

      Delete
  5. How much did you water down the glue? I'm making these for my wedding to hang (using string lights) and I tried using the clear glue gel like you show, but like you said it dried to fast so I used the white tacky glue that just dries clear and it left a lot of flakes that are hard to pick off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. I watered down the glue quite a bit towards the end. When it dried it did leave a lot of flakes which I poked at with a pencil. It was better then the clumps of glue that were forming before I watered it down, but it's still time consuming no matter what. I love the idea of using them for a wedding! Maybe you can get a group of friends together to help with this project! Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.
      ~Solana

      Delete